NAIDOC Week 2020: What’s On in NSW across Arts and Screen!
NAIDOC Week is a celebration of the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and offers a great opportunity for you to participate in a range of activities supporting your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
To celebrate NAIDOC Week 2020 we’ve put together a list of NSW events where you can share in the celebrations, online and in-person.
NAIDOC Week 2020: Always Was, Always Will Be.
• ABC TV + iview Indigenous program
Dramas, comedies, documentaries and more to celebrate Indigenous culture. The best of Indigenous stories and features on ABC
• SBS & NITV NAIDOC Week program, 8 – 15 November 2020
• SBS & NITV NAIDOC Week movie collection, 8 – 15 November 2020
• Barkaa Roundhouse Artist Livestream, The Roundhouse, 11 November 2020, 3pm
Australian rapper, Barkaa joins Xavier Hubbard at the Roundhouse to showcase her powerful new tracks and chat about her approach to her music, and what NAIDOC Week means to her and her world
• Made Deadly Music Festival Live Streamed, Saltwater Freshwater Arts, 11 November 2020, 6pm – 10pm
• Boomalli x Broadway, Boomalli Aboriginal Art, 2 – 30 November 2020, Boomalli has taken over Broadway Shopping Centre for NAIDOC Week
• Dance Rites Online, Sydney Opera House, Heats: 11 – 14 November 2020, Finals: 21 November 2020
• DOBBY Roundhouse Artist Livestream, The Roundhouse, 9 November 2020, 3pm
Rapper, drummer, and speaker DOBBY speaks to Xavier Hubbard about what his latest tracks such as I Can’t Breathe mean to him, who is mob are, and what the most beautiful aspects of being black are for him
• Georges River Council NAIDOC 2020 Celebrations, Hurstville, 9 – 13 November 2020
An exciting virtual program that engages with diverse First Nation’s culture, voices and ideas through dance, panel discussions, and art
• inVISIBLE Exhibition, Boomalli Aboriginal Artists Co-Operative, 22 October – 29 November 2020
• NAIDOC at NCIE National Centre Indigenous Excellence, NCIE, Redfern
A week-long virtual celebration featuring deadly online events and panel discussions for everyone to get involved in
• NAIDOC Week online, Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre and Liverpool City Council, 9 – 13 November 2020
Featuring Library Storytime program, a cooking demonstration, musical performances and talks – all curated to honour and celebrate the local Aboriginal community and the culture in Liverpool
• SOUTHEAST Aboriginal Arts Market, Carriageworks, 26 – 29 November 2020
• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art guided tour, Art Gallery of NSW, 9 – 15 November 2020
An introduction to the collection by Indigenous staff
• Always Was, Always Will Be Exhibition, Spiral Gallery, 47 Church Street, Bega,
23 October – 11 November 2020, Mon to Fri 10am – 4pm and Sat 10am – 1pm
• Blak Markets in The Rocks NAIDOC Festival, Blak Markets, Tallowolladah Lawn, Circular Quay 14 – 15 November 2020, 10am – 5pm
• Make art: celebrate NAIDOC Week 2020, Art Gallery of NSW, 8 – 15 November 2020
• NAIDOC Week in The Rocks, The Rocks, 8 – 15 November 2020
Always Was, Always Will Be. Op-ed
To celebrate NAIDOC Week 2020, Create NSW also asked four talented NSW artists and screen practitioners to share with us their response to the question: What does the 2020 NAIDOC theme mean to you – personally and/or professionally?
The Rocks is celebrating with a cavalcade of events, Indigenous art exhibitions, markets and cuisine from 8 to the 15 of November