NSW Visual Arts Fellowship (Emerging) in partnership with Artspace
The 2019 NSW Visual Arts Fellowship (Emerging) in partnership with Artspace supports NSW visual arts practitioners in the early stages of their career to challenge and expand their practice.
Applications are now closed.
One Fellowship will be awarded to an emerging visual artist to undertake a self-directed professional development program.
The value of the funding program from Create NSW is a $30,000 Fellowship and professional curatorial support and mentorship over three months to develop new work for an exhibition at Artspace. Artists who are shortlisted will receive a fee to participate in the exhibition and may be asked to participate in talks or other public programs.
Closing dates and timeframe
- Applications open Monday 17 June, 3pm.
- Applications close Monday 15 July, 5pm.
Funding is available for Fellowship programs starting after 1 January 2020. The professional development program (as separate from the project with Artspace) must start within six months of receiving the Fellowship and completed within two years.
Applications will be peer assessed and up to 12 applicants will be shortlisted to take part in the exhibition at Artspace in Sydney from Saturday 16 November to Sunday 15 December 2019. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed during the week of 11 November 2019.
The Fellowship will be awarded to one of the shortlisted artists once the exhibition is installed at Artspace. The Fellowship recipient will be announced at the opening of the exhibition at a TBC date in November 2019.
To apply, complete and submit the 2019 NSW Visual Arts Fellowship (Emerging) in partnership with Artspace application form available through our secure online grants system, SmartyGrants.
For further advice, please contact Create NSW at email@example.com (02) 8289 6520.
Who can apply
- To be eligible to apply, you must be a NSW resident.
In addition, as part of the assessment you will be asked to demonstrate that you are a practicing visual artist who is at an emerging stage of your career.
You may apply as a group or partnership, but you must ensure that:
- all members of the group/partnership meet the eligibility criteria;
- all members of the group/partnership have collaborated on all the works included as support material;
- you nominate one member of your group/partnership to submit the application and be the lead contact person; and
- CVs and details are provided for all members of the group/partnership.
Applications will not be accepted from:
- previous recipients of the NSW Visual Arts Fellowship (Emerging)
- previous recipients of other Create NSW grants, fellowships or scholarships who have not fulfilled the conditions of their funding.
Required support material
You are required to include:
- Relevant and recent examples of your artistic work (images, video, recordings, written material or links to websites)
- Your CV (maximum one A4 page). If you are applying as a group or partnership you must provide a biography or CV for all members of the group/partnership
- Confirmation letters and/or letters of support related to your project (provided as one document), such as from partners, venues, key sector contacts or other funding agencies.
Applications are assessed against the following criteria:
- Artistic and Cultural Merit
- Artistic and/or cultural merit of your work, professional achievements and experience
- Career Impact and Planning
- Significance and benefit of the proposed program to your artistic or cultural practice and professional development
- Effective and achievable planning
In addition, you will be required to submit a budget. This will be analysed by Create NSW and feedback will be provided to enhance your project.
Funding is not available for:
- Costs associated with a project or program that has already been substantially completed
- Assisting with study for a tertiary education qualification
- Covering the total production costs of new work, such as an exhibition or performance. If including a new work, it must be demonstrated how this activity will contribute to your overall professional development
- Applicants who have already received funding for the same activities
- Offsetting the costs of items and materials already purchased.
Need this information in another format?
If you’re an applicant with disability, you can ask for this information in a format that’s accessible to you. Contact Create NSW (between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday):
From inside NSW (02) 8289 6520
Via email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re deaf or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service:
TTY users Phone 133 677 then ask for (02) 8289 6520.
Speaker and Listen users Phone 1300 555 727 then ask for (02) 8289 6520.
Internet Relay users Connect to the NRS then ask for (02) 8289 6520.
Need this information in another language?
If you would like to talk about your application in your first language, you can ask for an interpreter through the Translating and Interpreting Service. Contact Create NSW for more information.
Need a printed application form?
Regional applicants with unreliable internet connections can ask to use a printed application form. If you think you will have difficulty submitting your application online, contact Create NSW before the closing date.