NSW Contemporary Music
Create NSW continues to work with the music sector to develop future initiatives and investment in contemporary music across NSW.
On the 25th March 2021 the NSW Government announced a $24 Million package in funding to support live music venues who have suffered financial distress due to the COVID-19 crisis. NSW Live Music Support Package through Service NSW is available for live music venues who can demonstrate significant live music programming prior to COVID-19, as well as financial hardship.
The NSW Live Music Support Package is a result of close consultation with industry and designed through a strategic cross-government partnership with Destination NSW, Office of the 24-Hour Economy Commissioner and Create NSW.
Applications have now closed.
For further details visit: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-live-music-support-package-funding
The importance of contemporary music was recognized by Create NSW’s establishment of a distinct Contemporary Music Board as one of the ten Art Form Advisory Boards in 2019. Other funding opportunities for contemporary Live Music include:
- The Arts and Cultural Funding Program (ACFP) is one of the mechanisms by which the NSW Government provides funding to the arts and cultural sector in NSW. Opportunities exist through:
- Open Rounds 1 & 2: Project, Annual Organisations and Creative Koori Projects funding programs.
- Small Projects Grants, a quick response, rolling grant round of support of up to $5,000.
- Generations, an annual partnership between the Powerhouse Museum, Astral People and Create NSW, which offers three opportunities to individual musicians.
- Make Music Day 2021, a free celebration of music around the world. This year Create NSW will continue to develop cross governmental partnerships for the 21st June 2021.
The $50 million Arts Rescue and Restart package provided significant support to contemporary music which included individual organisational support and strategic support as follows:
- Support music micro-festivals to be delivered across 12 regions in NSW by the local Regional Arts Development Organisations;
- extend the Music NSW Regional Music Officers;
- APRA/AMCOS to offer a First Nations professional development program and song writing hubs in regional NSW;
- Accessible Arts to promote and coordinate Music Maker;
- Information and Culture Exchange for West Syd Sessions.
Live Music across the State has also been supported by the Government through major initiatives: –
- 24 Hour Economy Strategy with a focus to create jobs, foster arts and culture and reinforce Sydney’s status as Australia’s only truly global city which a whole government approach in which Create NSW is a key partner.
- Play the City (Sydney) NSW supporting live music and performances across the whole of Sydney CBD as part of the CBD revitalization package.
- Great Southern Nights – a massive live music initiative was supported by the Government.
- State Laws and Regulations applying to live music and cultural activity in NSW have been removed through major changes in legislation. This included amendments to the Liquor Act, Planning Act, Local Government Act, the Building Code to remove unnecessary and complex regulations for live music venues in the Liquor Amendment (Night-Time Economy) Act 2020 No 40. These amendments were announced in November 2020.
- Dine & Discover NSW was announced to support local dining, arts and tourism businesses and encourage the community to get out and about in COVID safe environments.
- Creative Kids program allows kids and young adults to engage in music and other art activities.
For further information:
Visit NSW Live Music Support Package Grants Information on the Service NSW website.