Audience Outlook Monitor results
The March 2021 results reveal an increase in attendance activity among NSW audience members, following months of low virus cases and outdoor programming over summer. The NSW Snapshot provides insights from 3,739 respondents from arts and cultural organisations across the state.
Create NSW is collaborating with research agencies Patternmakers (Sydney) and WolfBrown (USA) and five other government agencies across Australia to produce insights into audience attitudes to arts and culture during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 76% of audiences say they have recently attended a cultural venue or event
- 82% are making firm plans to attend an event in the future
- 32% of audiences state attendance has been inhibited by the risk of virus transmission
- Participation in online arts and culture has decreased to 49% (from 71% in September 2020)
- Proportion of audiences that feel comfortable with arts activities has increased:
- 98% are at least somewhat comfortable attending museums and galleries
- 95% are at least somewhat comfortable attending a community arts space/studio
- 90% are at least somewhat comfortable attending large theatres and concern halls
Previous NSW Snapshot Reports
- Download the third NSW Snapshot Report , or download the accessible version.
- Download the second NSW Snapshot Report, or download the accessible version.
- Download the first NSW Snapshot Report.
National Snapshot Reports are also available
- Access the fourth National March 2021 report to read the national results.
- Access the third National Snapshot Report.
- Access the second National Snapshot Report.
- Access the first National Snapshot Report.
Use the dashboard to get results for your artform and region
Survey data from Australian respondents has been aggregated in a freely available dashboard, to assist artists and cultural organisations.
Read more about the methodology and the types of events that are included.
Access the dashboard by following the link below and entering the login details provided. For guidance on how to use the dashboard, visit the Australian homepage for the dashboard, where you can watch a tour or download a guide.
Access the Dashboard
Please share your reflections and insights using the hashtag #audienceoutlookmonitor
About the Audience Outlook Monitor
The results now available represent all four phases of the study that track how audiences feel about returning to events in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Data was collected between May 2020 and March 2021.
The dashboard is freely accessible and designed to help artists and cultural organisations of all kinds to make the best possible decisions about re-opening.
How to find out more
More Snapshot Reports, Fact Sheets and resources will be made available throughout 2021. To receive these directly into your inbox, as soon as they are available, you can opt in to receive Audience Outlook Monitor news straight from the researchers.
If you have a question, or an idea for using this data, please contact Patternmakers at email@example.com.