Small Project Grants (Quick Response) for Individuals guidelines
Arts and Cultural Funding Program
Applications for Small Project Grants (Quick Response) are open.
Small Project Grants (Quick Response) support the creation, development and presentation of new work and professional development opportunities for NSW-based professional artists, groups and arts and cultural workers (including museum workers).
You can apply for funding from $500 up to $5000.
Small Project Grants (Quick Response) funding aims to:
- Enable artists, groups, and arts/cultural workers (including museum workers) to participate in outstanding and relevant time-sensitive opportunities
- Contribute to the creation, development and/or presentation of new work
- Improve the capacity of professionals working in NSW to become arts and cultural leaders.
Important: The Small Project Grants Program will have extended notification periods from 28 November 2022. Applications received after the 28 November will be notified in the first week of February 2022, due to the office closure at the end of the year. In addition, the Program will have extended notification periods from Monday 22 May 2023 for the end of the 22/23 financial year. Application opening dates for the 2023/24 financial year will be provided once they are confirmed.
The information on this page is the full program guidelines. Please read this information in full before completing your application form below.
Accessibility, Inclusion and Support
Create NSW is committed to ensuring better practice and ease of access to the Arts & Cultural Funding Program.
If you are d/Deaf and/or find it hard hearing or speaking with people who use a phone, the National Relay Service may assist you.
Please note: To use the National Relay Service, you will need to register first, so you can make and receive calls.
Please contact Create NSW staff between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
- Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
- Email: email@example.com
- Schedule an online meeting to speak to Create staff by clicking this link.
You may also contact the peak arts and disability organisation for NSW, Accessible Arts:
- Telephone: (02) 9251 6499
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Language Interpreting Service
If English is your second/third language and you would like to speak to Create NSW staff about the guidelines or application form, we can arrange an Interpreting Service to support this communication.
Please contact us between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
- Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
- Email: email@example.com
- You can also schedule an online meeting to speak to Create NSW staff by clicking this link.
Application Support Resources
Application Support Resources are provided to assist with your funding application, these include:
- Small Project Grants Help Guide
- Small Project Grants Glossary
- Application Help Guide and Fact Sheets
- NSW Aboriginals Arts and Cultural Protocols
- Previous Small Project Grants Recipient List
Create NSW staff are here to help you between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and can be contacted via:
- Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scheduling an online meeting to speak to Create staff by clicking this link.
Please note: Create NSW staff are available to provide information to applicants on the interpretation of these Guidelines, including the types of projects eligible for funding and advice on the application process.
Create NSW staff cannot help directly with your application or edit/correct any applications.
1. You must be as an individual or group
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident and
- a residence of NSW or have resided in NSW over the last 12 months.
2. Your project must be a clearly defined arts and cultural project.
Examples of types of projects (but are not limited to):
- Invitation to speak at a forum or performance opportunity nationally/internationally
- Mentorship or residency opportunity
- Creative Development of new work
- Artform Performance opportunity.
3. Your project must be urgent or time-sensitive
- You must complete your project within 3 months of receiving funding.
Please note: Your project must commence three weeks after the date you submit your application.
You cannot apply if you:
- Have submitted three Small Project Grants applications between the period 1 June 2022 and 22 May 2023.
- You have been successful more than 2 times in Small Project Grants rounds per financial year
- Have outstanding acquittal/s for previous grants from Arts NSW/Create NSW
- Have received Create NSW funding for the same stage/phase of projects or for project top ups
- Do not meet the ABN requirements
- Funds being used for filmmaking, screen production, mainstream animation, or film festivals (please contact Screen NSW at screen.nsw.gov.au)
- Are a current employee of Create NSW (note in addition, Create NSW employees cannot benefit from this funding round)
- Have been employed by Create NSW within the last 6 months.
Restriction of funding
You cannot apply for the following items if you wish to use funds for:
- TAFE or University fees and/or related research and development or other formal qualifications
- Recovering costs of items and materials already purchased
- Purchasing musical instruments, artworks, equipment, or vehicles
- Capital works
- Fundraising, awards, or competition prize money
- Repayment of loans
- Filmmaking, screen production, mainstream animation, or film festivals (please contact Screen NSW at www.screen.nsw.gov.au)
Your application will be assessed on:
- Merit Criteria: Project Information
- Impact Criteria: Why is this project important?
- Budget Criteria: Expenditure breakdown.
Please note: To assist with your application submission you have the choice to answer the Merit and Impact Criteria as video submissions.
1.Project Information (Merit Criteria)
You should provide a detailed response to the following questions:
- Tell us about your Project
- The reason/s for undertaking the project
- Other artists involved (if any) and the location
- The outcome/s of the project
Please note: A key activities/project plan template will be provided by Create NSW to assist you in outlining how you will deliver your project. Using this template is optional.
Examples of your experience and work/s
You should provide examples of your individual/group’s previous artistic and/or cultural practice to demonstrate you have the experience and/or expertise to deliver the project.
Please note: You will be expected to upload support material this includes CV’s, short biographies, Letters of Support and Confirmation and samples of previous/current work/s (support material).
2. The importance and urgency of your project (Impact criteria)
You should provide details on the following:
- Why the project is important to you/the group’s practice and/or career development?
- Why the project is time sensitive and needs to be undertaken urgently?
3. Budget (Budget criteria)
You should outline what Create NSW funds will be spent on; this includes:
- Artist/s and Arts Worker/s fees
- Production costs
- Travel/Accommodation/Transport costs
- Material/s costs
- Other Expenses
You should tell us if you are paying artist/s and arts worker fees at appropriate industry rates.
You should provide a detailed budget breakdown, this may include quotes, industry standard rates for artist/s and arts workers, and any other additional income associated (if applicable) with the total project costs of delivering the project.
Please note: Uploading quotes is optional.
Throughout the application, you will be expected to provide support material.
This can include:
- Confirmation letters from artist/s, organisations and/or communities that can confirm they are working with you on the project
- Letters of Support from artist/s, organisations and/or communities who can speak to your project vision and your experience in project delivery
- Letters of Offer/ Invitations to attend an outstanding opportunity or residency
- Venue booking confirmation or residency confirmation
- Sample of previous artistic works or current works relating to your project. These may be:
- Written material
- Still images
Create NSW Aboriginal Arts and Cultural Protocols
Create NSW Aboriginal Arts and Cultural Protocols have been developed as a guide for modelling best practice to the broader sector on ethical ways to work and engage with Aboriginal people and communities.
There are 2 sections to the protocols that describe the type of work many Aboriginal artists and art workers undertake:
- Aboriginal people that develop their own projects; or
- Aboriginal people that are invited to collaborate partially or fully on a project.
If your project involves Aboriginal artists, organisations, and communities, you will be expected to provide:
- Support Letters from Aboriginal artists, organisations, and/or communities
- Confirmation Letters of involvement from Aboriginal artists, organisations and/or communities
See Aboriginal Protocols for more information.
How do I Apply?
To apply you will need to complete and submit the relevant application form through our secure online grants system SmartyGrants. To apply click here.
If you have any technical difficulties, please call (02) 8289 6520.
Australian Business Number (ABN)
If applying as an Individual:
- You can apply with an Individual/Sole Trader ABN OR
- If you are the sole director of a private company, the ABN for that company
- Funding to be Administered
If you do not have an ABN and you are successful, you will need to either:
- Obtain an Individual/Sole Trader ABN OR
- Engage someone to administer the funding
If applying as a Group, you can provide:
- A group members’ Individual/Sole Trader ABN OR
- A partnership ABN OR
- An Unincorporated Entity ABN
Please note: The Applicant should be the name of the group, not the person submitting the application.
Applications with other ABN types including Incorporated Entity, Public Company and Trust ABNs will be made ineligible. These restrictions do not apply to nominated Funds Administrators.
An administrative body/third party (e.g., manager, agent or producing organisation) can receive and administer funds on your behalf.
You may be asked for a fee for this service, and it is recommended that you include that fee in your project budget.
What happens after I submit my application?
You will receive an email confirmation from our secure online grants system.
If eligible, your application will proceed to the two-stage assessment process.
- If your application is deemed ineligible, you will be advised in writing within 14 days of your submission date.
- You can withdraw your application at any time. Please email email@example.com with your application details.
- You can seek advice from Create NSW staff and re-apply.
Assessment Stage 1
Create NSW staff will assess all applications against the assessment criteria: Project Information, Importance and Urgency and Budget.
Assessment Stage 2
Create NSW staff will recommend applications based on how well they meet the assessment criteria.
Recommendations may also include Create NSW Priority Areas of applicants who are:
- NSW Aboriginal people
- People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- People with disability or who are d/Deaf
- Young People under the age of 25
- People living and/or working in Western Sydney
- People living and/or working in regional NSW
When will I know the outcome of my application?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications 3-4 weeks after they submit their application.
What happens if my application is successful?
If your application is successful, you will be sent a funding agreement. This outlines the conditions of funding, how you will be paid and your grant reporting requirements.
Acknowledgement of Create NSW Support
As a recipient of Government funding, you will be expected to acknowledge the support from Create NSW in all project/s publications, promotional and advertising materials, public announcements, and activities.
Please see Create NSW Logo Guidelines for more information.
Can I receive Feedback?
When you are notified by email of the outcome of your unsuccessful application, you will also be provided with this link to book in your skype call or online feedback session with Create NSW staff member.