Generations – NSW Music (Early Career) Fellowship guidelines
Arts and Cultural Funding Program 2019/20
Applications for Generations Fellowship is open and will close Monday, 16 December 2019 at 5pm AEST.
The information on this page is a guide only. We recommend reading the full guidelines before completing your application.
Last updated 13/11/2019.
To apply for funding you will need to complete and submit the relevant application form through our secure online grants system, SmartyGrants.
Three early career solo artists or groups will be selected for a six-month fellowship each during the period 1 February 2020 – 31 December 2021. Each six-month fellowship will be artist-led and developed in partnership with Create NSW, Powerhouse Museum and Astral People.
The program will connect emerging artists in the early stages of their career with established artists supporting intergenerational knowledge and experience within the music industry. Mentors comprising of musicians, songwriters, agents, label and publishing executives will work with the artists during their six-month residency.
Who can apply for funding?
You must meet the following three criteria:
1. Applicant type
You must be an:
- Australian citizen; or
- permanent resident; and
- an individual/group based in NSW.
2. Arts practice
You must be either a:
- music producer; or
3. Career stage
You must self-identify as an early career* artist or arts and cultural worker.
* An early career artist or arts and cultural worker is someone who is at the beginning of their career, has created a modest independent body of work but hasn’t yet established a solid reputation as an artist within their artform.
How much funding is available?
The three successful artists or groups will be provided with the following support:
- $25,000 in financial support;
- Studio space for 6 months at the Powerhouse Museum (Ultimo) or Museum Discovery Centre (Castle Hill) during 2020 – 2021: and
- Practical connections with the sector to develop the skills to be entrepreneurs and have autonomy within the industry.
How will my application be assessed?
You must address two assessment criteria:
We would like to know
- about you and your music
- where you are at in your career
- your inspirations or influences.
We would like to know
- how this fellowship opportunity will benefit you at this stage of your career.
You will be able to upload the following material to support your application:
- Up to 5 DEMOS of your work (via Soundcloud, or other URL, or WAV/mp3 files).
When will I know if my application is successful?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications under embargo* during the week of 27 January 2020.
* Under embargo means that applicants are notified but cannot publicise the outcome until the official announcement has been made by the Minister for the Arts or Create NSW. The embargo period is taken seriously and failure to comply may impact your current or future funding eligibility.
What support is available to me?
Resources are available to assist you with your funding application. Contact a staff member if you need any advice between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
If you are an applicant with disability, and you require this information in a format which is accessible to you, or if you require this information in another language, you can contact us on the details above between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
The National Relay service numbers are:
TTY users: Phone 133 677 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Speak and Listen users: Phone 1300 555 727 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Internet Relay users: Connect to NES then ask for (02) 8289 6520