Creative Koori Projects funding guidelines
Arts and Cultural Funding Program 2019/20
The next Creative Koori Projects funding round opens on 3 February 2020.
Creative Koori Projects funding aims to build support for a strong, resilient and exciting Aboriginal arts and cultural sector for NSW. This will be done through embracing the principles of Aboriginal self-determination and putting Aboriginal artists, organisations and communities at the centre of funded cultural and creative activity.
Your intended projects may cover the following elements:
- NSW Aboriginal cultural development
- contemporary practice
- sharing NSW Aboriginal culture the Aboriginal way
- promoting NSW Aboriginal culture
- strengthening the NSW Aboriginal arts and cultural sector.
The information on this page is a guide only. We recommend reading the full guidelines before completing your application.
Download the Creative Koori Projects funding guidelines here.
Download the accessible version here.
Who can apply for funding?
You must be an:
- Aboriginal individual or
- Aboriginal organisation; and
- have a strong cultural affiliation with country that is now called NSW.
How much funding is available?
There is no upper limit to the amount of funding you may request.
However, to be competitive, you must provide a level of detail in your written application, support material and budget appropriate to the level of your funding request (see assessment criteria below).
This expectation will vary according to the following levels of funding request:
- applying for less than $20,000
- applying for at least $20,000 but less than $140,000
- applying for $140,000 or more.
You may not request funding for the total cost of your program. You must include an independent financial contribution (cash and/or in kind) from other sources.
How will my application be assessed?
You must address the following three assessment criteria:
1. Project Merit
This will include areas such as:
- the artistic rationale and/or vision for the project
- the articulation of creative process and/or project delivery
- the quality and reputation of previous work
- how the project engages Aboriginal NSW artists, and arts and cultural workers
- how the project provides Aboriginal arts & cultural experiences to the people of NSW
- how the project profiles Aboriginal NSW/Australian stories, voices and practices
- how the project contributes to the Aboriginal creative and cultural profile of NSW
- your adherence to Aboriginal cultural protocols (where relevant).
2. Project Impact
This provides applicants to choose one of the following impact areas:
- social impact
- cultural impact
- audience impact
- operational impact.
3. Project Viability
This will include areas such as your budget, project plan, governance arrangements, scaled according to the size of your request.
When will I know if my application is successful?
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their applications under embargo no later than the following dates:
- Touring (performing arts) projects only: Friday 31 October 2019 notification
- All other projects: Friday 6 December 2019 notification.
All successful Round 1 projects can start after 31 January 2020.
- All projects (including touring performing arts): Friday 19 June 2020 notification
All successful Round 2 projects can start after 1 August 2020.
What support is available to me?
Resources will be made available to assist you with your funding application. Contact a staff member if you need any advice between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday:
Telephone: (02) 8289 6520
If you are an applicant with disability, and you require this information in a format which is accessible to you, or if you require this information in another language, you can contact us on the details above between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
The National Relay service numbers are:
TTY users: Phone 133 677 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Speak and Listen users: Phone 1300 555 727 then ask for (02) 8289 6520
Internet Relay users: Connect to NES then ask for (02) 8289 6520
To apply for funding you will need to complete and submit the relevant application form through our secure online grants system, SmartyGrants.